Requirements and Policies
- Ballet Academy in Lincoln Park (BALP) requires FIVE (5) students to run a class.
- TUITION MUST BE PAID PRIOR TO THE START OF EACH SESSION. Tuition must be paid in form of a check or cash for classes at Athenaeum Theater. CC can be used when registering for classes at DePaul Ray Mayer Center.
- NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS will be given for missed classes.
- Classes must be made-up within the session paid for, and cannot be carried over from session to session.
- Please notify Instructor prior to absence.
- One parent is required to escort his/her child under the age of 13 to class on the first day of EACH session. Receipt is required for entry into Ray Meyer Center classroom (if you registered by telephone, you may pick up your receipt at the reception desk of the Ray Meyer Center).
- Parents are not allowed to watch their kids during classes, inside the classroom or through the window. It is a distraction to children and to the teacher.
- All classes: No jewelry of any kind. No toys in class.
- Notify BALP in writing, of any specific health concerns as they relate to student participation in dancing, receiving dance instruction, or in any way engaged with dance or dance instruction at BALP. Student and/or parent/guardian assume all risks of personal injury to the student while dancing, receiving dance instruction, or in any way engaged with dance or dance instruction at BALP. Student and/or parent/guardian acknowledge the hazards in an exercise program, accept the risks involved, and realize it is a hands-on activity. Student and/or parent/guardian has discussed any special problems with their (or their child’s) physician.
- Indemnify and hold harmless BALP and its officers, directors, employees, instructors, agents and volunteers and all other persons associated officially or unofficially with BALP from any and all claims for physical or property loss, damage, injury or death from any cause whatsoever arising out of or in any way connected with any SCB program, performance, instruction or any use of the BALP facility or any facility operated or controlled by BALP, whether in whole or in part. Student and/or parent/guardian further agree that faxed/emailed signatures may be accepted as original signatures.
- All students agree to abide by BALP’s code of conduct and will follow all BALP regulations.
- Allow photographs or video to be taken during class, program or activity. All such material will remain the property of BALP, and may be used for promotional, or news media purposes. Please contact BALP if you have any questions regarding photographs. All restrictions on photography/video must be made, in writing, by the student and/or parent/guardian.
- Students must adhere to the BALP Dress Code.
- Keep hair neatly and securely up and off the face.
- Arrive on time, ready to begin class. Be respectful and disciplined in all classes.
- Notify the office, in writing, of any medical conditions which may impede full participation in a class/activity.
- Notify instructors, before class, if you have any medical conditions, which may impede your full participation.
- Email BALP IN ADVANCE of any absence, citing SPECIFIC reason for absence.
- Strive for perfect attendance, with the knowledge that ANY absences may prevent you from participation in performances/showcases/workshops. Participation in performances/showcases/workshops will be at the SOLE discretion of BALP and the instructors.
- Strive to make-up absences in assigned level, or a lower level. Keep in mind that much can be achieved from taking a lower level class. Students are to communicate to the instructors when taking a make-up class.
- Strive to dance to the best of your ability everyday!
Ballet Academy in Lincoln Park believes that proper uniform leads to better discipline and concentration. We ask that you follow the dress requirements.
Pre-ballet: Light pink tights, pink shoes, light pink leotard. Children taking classes at Athenaeum Theater must bring a yoga mat or a large towel for floor stretches.
Jazz: Leotard and tights or form fitting jazz pants and jazz shoes.
Character Dance: Regular ballet attire (see below.) Short skirts and character shoes must be worn in Character class.
Ballet, ages 8 & up: GIrls must wear plain black leotard, short, cap, spaghetti or tank sleeves. NO criss crossing, aerobic or halter style straps. No high cut or aerobic cut legs. Pink tights. Pink canvas shoes in proper sizing with elastic straps sewn on.
Boys must wear tight black leggings or black shorts (gymnastic shorts), white t-shirt, black slippers.